Coalition have announced a major step forward in the future of Gears of War 4 Versus Multiplayer with the introduction of cross-play between Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs in Social Quickplay!
Late last year, Coalition conducted several tests over a Weekend to bring our Windows 10 and Xbox One fans together in public Versus Multiplayer, together with the feedback from the die-hard fans and data Coalition gathered. This was to help them decide the next steps to take to deliver a matchmaking cross-play Versus experience.
Coalition have release the stats from the cross-play test weekend:
- Over 750,000 Matches Played
- Over 115,000 Unique Participants – 91/9 split from Xbox to Windows 10
- Average of 6.2 matches played by Xbox users, with 11.2 for Windows 10 users
- Over 90% of all matches during the weekend included a mix of Windows 10 and Xbox One players
- Windows 10 and Xbox players had closely-matched results when comparing Average KD, Score and Kills per match based on skill ratings
- The quality of matches improved for both Xbox and Windows 10 users – social lobbies had a higher average user count, and players completed 95% of all social matches entered vs 90% prior to Cross-play Weekend
Coalition had a very successful cross-play test weekend, they went on to say:
“We looked at the extensive data we received thanks to the incredible participation from our community, there was a clear message – it works. And after reading the hundreds of pages of discussion and feedback from the cross-play Test Weekend, our fans said the same – it works.”
So it’s been officially announced, beginning 27th January 2017, Social Quickplay will now be a Cross-play playlist! This is planned to be a permanent move for the future of Social Quickplay, Initially the first few months of the cross-play will be monitored to make sure the cross-play test weekend feedback and data is representative.
Core and Competitive will remain platform independent, only matching Xbox players with each other and Windows 10 players with each other. Despite the closely matched performance between users on both platforms seen in our cross-play Test Weekend, we always want to ensure our Ranked experiences are as closely matched and competitive as possible. Due to the major popularity of Social Quickplay on Windows 10, we will be looking at introducing new Core and Competitive solutions for Windows 10 players in the future to provide more focused offerings to experience the more competitive ranked play of Gears of War 4.