Conan Exiles, the new survival game from Funcom, has now hit the early alpha stage, and according to the developers, it’s not expected to be in Early Alpha long – “Full and final launch will happen later – we do not expect Early Access to last more than a year,” . That’s great news for everyone who’s excited about this new game.
“After over twenty-four years in the business and over thirty titles released, we are excited to be launching our very first Early Access game,” says Funcom CEO Rui Casais. “We are incredibly proud of what the game has to offer from day one, but development on an Early Access game is an ongoing process and we look forward to be working side by side with the community making sure we introduce the content, features, and improvements that realizes the full potential of Conan Exiles. This is the start of a true adventure!”
Journey through a vast, seamless world. Explore crumbling ruins and uncover the history of ancient civilizations. Fend off hunger, thirst, and even insanity as you explore dark dungeons filled with monstrous creatures. Escape scouring sandstorms and bloodthirsty cannibals. Gain knowledge to craft new items and build stronger structures. Unleash your savage fury with brutal attacks that will see heads rolling and limbs flying.
Funcom has also spoken about what they expect to be included over the next 12 months, this includes siege weapons, sorcery, taming mounts, religion and thrall systems.
Conan Exiles upcoming features
- Mounts and taming: Later in Early Access, we’ll implement mounts and a way to tame them. Mounts will function as transportation methods, and we hope to add mounted combat, but we won’t implement war mounts that fight for you.
- Expanded religion system: We want to expand it with doctrines that require you to act a certain way for a period of time in order to gain favour from your god.
- Siege weapons: We’re working on implementing the trebuchet into the game soon, allowing you to attack other player’s fortifications with massive rocks. We’re also going to let you shoot rotting corpses with the trebuchet!
- Clothes customization: We want players to express themselves through the clothes their exile wears, which is why we will soon implement a system for players to dye and customise their clothes.
- Expanded thrall system: For now thralls act as guards or craftsman. We wish to expand this system to thralls can also work as hunter/gatherers for the player. Thrall scheduling and city management will also be added to the game, as well as thrall upkeep with food.
- Biomes: We launch with the desert biome and will add other biomes during the Early Access period.
- Hitbox damage: We will set up damage amounts for the different body parts during Early Access.
- Sorcery system: Magic is an important part of Conan’s world and so it will be a part of Conan Exiles. You won’t get access to fireball and similar types of combat magic, but going from a starving exile to a dark sorcerer will be a path you can take. It will, however, be long and difficult.
Conan Exiles is available on Steam at a $29.99 Early Access price. A special edition is also available at $59.99 serving up a range of exclusive Conan the Barbarian digital items (and a physical t-shirt, shipping and handling included) which celebrates the life and legacy of his creator Robert E. Howard. The game can be purchased via Steam and www.conanexiles.com and is available in 11 different languages, including Korean, Japanese, and Chinese.