Virtual Air Guitar Company has announced their 11th game Air Guitar Warrior for Kinect, to be released on March 29th via the ID@Xbox self-publishing programme. The game will be available exclusively on Xbox One at a price of $19.99 / €18.99 / £14.99.
Air Guitar Warrior is part music game and part scrolling shooter. Players will wield air guitars that double as weapons on a quest to find a legendary sword-guitar and challenge Heavy Metal Zeus at the top of the Temple of the Rock Gods.
“With Air Guitar Warrior, we wanted to really push the rock attitude,” says Aki Kanerva, Founder and Lead Designer at Virtual Air Guitar Company. “Air guitars that shoot fire, ice and lightning, dinosaur riding, flying flaming demon skulls… it’s going to melt your face!”
A full soundtrack has been created specifically for the game by musicians Mika Tyyskä / Mr. Fastfinger and Samppa Siurala. The game places control of the lead guitar in the hands of the player.
Tyyskä says, “I’ve been playing guitar for almost 30 years, it was very liberating to finally write music and riffs for air guitar! For each song, we wrote various lead guitar layers in different speeds: fast, faster, fasterer… no sweat or blood was spared when the most furious parts were laid down!” Siurala adds, “This project was a great combo – creating multiple different styles was an awesome challenge and at the same time it was a dive back to basics: solid rock!”
Despite the company’s name and long history, this is their first released game to feature air guitar playing. Kanerva says, “It only took 11 years and 11 games, so it’s about time we cranked it up to 11 and made a game with air guitars in it!”
- 50 hand-painted levels, ranging from post-apocalyptic ruins to the pits of pandemonium
- 21 vehicles including dinosaurs, sharks with lasers, tigers and jet-powered crocodiles, featuring different gameplay for flying and ground vehicles
- 13 giant bosses
- 8 guitar weapons, each with 5 tactical fire modes
- 10 album covers that you can star in
- Custom soundtrack by Mika Tyyskä / Mr. Fastfinger and Samppa Siurala with 19 tracks ranging from classic rock to heavy metal
- The guitar responds to your playing – choose slow or fast, rhythm or lead, or bend backwards to trigger destructive rapid fire